Sunday, March 1, 2009

Tioli's Crazee Burger

Oops! I forgot I had a food blog! Despite the lack of posts, I've been quite busy stuffing my face. Diet be damned. As long as I look smashin' in my new UCoB suits and jackets, it's all good.

The following is a series of posts in which I take my friends around San Diego to find our own individual favorite burger joint. We begin with Tioli's Crazee Burger:

This place is pretty interesting. I spotted it while driving down to Ritual Tavern and made a mental note to pay it a visit soon. Not sure how "crazee" you can make a burger, but um...yeah they have 'gator, ostrich, and kangaroo burgers among other things. How fun!

Due to my small appetite that night (this was my second dinner...) I did not order a whole lot of food. Went "halfsies" with a friend instead.


First up is the rather tame and unadventurous buffalo burger. To be honest, this just tasted like any ol' restaurant beef patty. Not particularly remarkable, though juicy. Lean & beefy. This short description is all that is required for this burger. Not much going on here.

Now for some fun!

Gator burger with curry fruit tapanade

This was one wacky burger. So apparently ground 'gator meat is still really chewy and tastes like those Chinese fish balls. I was pleasantly surprised by the juiciness even after chewing my mouthful for about a minute. Okay maybe I exaggerate, but like I said: chewy. The choice of curry fruit tapanade to top the patty is a fantastic idea. The flavors meld perfectly with 'gator. Weird burger that was totally worth $14. Not gonna order it again though. I only had half of this burger and I was getting pissed off about how much chewing it required. Was worth it cuz of the interesting experience I can tell friends about. "Dude, I've eaten alligator meat." sounds hardcore.


Drinking alcohol makes you want to munch.

Brauts. Very good. Very cheap. Order them.


The proprietors of Tioli's are really awesome folks from Germany. These dudes had heads of grey/white hair and were cracking jokes (some awfully filthy ones too...) that you'd typically hear coming out of the average male college student's mouth. Lols. They were nice enough to share a plate of charcuterie with us at the bar, too. Seriously, talk to them if you get the chance. Hilarious bunch of people with plenty of interesting Euro stories to tell.

Interesting meats served here draws my attention, but only because of the novelty. I still have to try a few more of their burgers to get a feel of the place, but so far in terms of taste and overall burger-ing experience, Tioli's does not really top my list. There is an awful lot of buzz around this place, though, so go on and check it out. As usual, I'd love to compare notes. :D




Tioli's Crazee Burger
4201 30th St
San Diego, CA 92104
* approximate times
619.282-6044

No comments: