Sunday, June 7, 2009

Deschutes

Oh man oh man oh man! Boy am I excited! I got my hands on two bottles of The Abyss today. The beer Gods are surely smiling down at me.



The Abyss is one of Deschutes' Reserve series and is released in very very limited quantities. What makes this such a sought after vintage beer? Oh I don't know. Maybe it has something to do with its consistently high ratings on BA (A+) and RB (100th percentile) since its first release in 2007. It has been a smashing hit that is able to compete head to head with dominant players such as Three Floyd's Dark Lord and Portsmouth's Kate The Great. In fact, it is currently ranked #4 on BA, where it holds the rank as the #1 Russian Imperial Stout.

Also pictured is the 2009 vintage of Mirror Mirror, also part of the Deschutes Reserve. Again, this is a very limited release, though not as exclusive as The Abyss. The last release was in 2006, so I don't think we're going to see another vintage for awhile.

Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout

I was lucky enough to get my dirty little paws on two bottles of The Abyss. Finding this rare gem was the easy part. Now resisting the urge to drink both bottles in one go? That's the hard part. I'm definitely planning on popping open one bottle at the end of the year (it is still reportedly a bit "hot" at the moment), but the second is without a doubt going into long-term storage. Same deal with my two bottles of Mirror Mirror. One to drink at the end of the year, and one for storage.

Or I could sell the bottles of Abyss online in a few months when its value will jump as high as $60/bottle, as shown by sales trends since its release.


Heh. Like hell I would! It would be so wrong to deny my friends and I the pleasure of enjoying such a glorious beer. Charlie, I'm making sure you get a taste of this stuff!

6 comments:

Kasha said...

I totally understand being BUSY! I look forward to more posts!
Kasha

Gaelin said...

I saw both of those @ Keg and Bottle this weekend! I had no idea they were rated so high or i would have picked them up. Oh well...

Stacy said...

Ah, good to see you are back. I went to one of the wine/truffle/cheese tastings at eclipse. To die for! He is doing it with beer next month, one of his truffles in gonna have arrogant bastard in it.

Roger said...

A hop-bomb of a truffle? I'm still trying to wrap my head around this one heh

Stacy said...

I feel that way with everything he makes, but somehow I always think it tastes amazing. One of his cheeses had mustard in it for the tasting, and it somehow went AMAZINGLY well with a lemon white chocolate truffle. Go figure. I suspend all belief when Will creates something.

Charlie Fu said...

okay call me when you're back in LA!