Thursday, July 17, 2008

Pizzeria Luigi

A lot of people tout Bronx Pizza as #1 in San Diego for thin crust pizza, but there are still improvements/tweaks that can be made to their pies. I particularly hate their hard, flavorless crust since my mouth gets cut up every time. Bronx could also use better tasting pepperoni.

After some digging around on the internet, I found a little place called Pizzeria Luigi that supposedly makes pizzas at or above the level of Bronx. Parking in the 25th St. location is a nightmare, so the new one on El Cajon* next to Eclipse Chocolat has been my preferred pizza destination.


Pepperoni+Sausage Pizza from Luigi's:

Blotting your pizza can eliminate as much as 45kcals/slice! I do it all the time.


SO MUCH CHEESE!

Looks just like a pizza from Bronx, but take a bite and the differences will be obvious. Luigi's has a delicious and chewy crust that is as sturdy as Bronx's--sans razor-sharp edges. Toppings and cheese also taste significantly better than Bronx's. I'll have to compare these pizzas side-by-side one day, but during this visit I felt that Bronx's pizzas tasted bland in comparison. Sauce at Luigi's just tastes like it has bit more depth and complexity. We can probably attribute this to the sauce's delicate sweetness, among other factors. Lastly, Luigi's is quite generous with the cheese, as you can see from the photo above, yet the balance of flavors and textures is not sacrificed. :D AWESOME.


As always, I'd love to compare notes with you guys if you've been here. And of course, please offer any recommendations if you know other kick-ass places as I am a big lover of pizza!


*updated August 09



Pizzeria Luigi

1137 25th St.
San Diego Ca, 92102
619.233-3309

2121 El Cajon Blvd.
San Diego, CA 92104
619.294-9417

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Do they make vegetarian pizza? If so, what kind?

Roger said...

They sure do! http://pizzerialuigi.com/_wsn/page3.html for the menu.

Anonymous said...

We did a roundup of NY style pizzas in San Diego and Luigi's won it by a good margin.

My one

Anonymous said...

Oops... not sure how that happened.

My one complaint about Luigi's is that I think their sauce is too sweet and overpowers the cheese and toppings. I love, love, love their crust, but when I eat it, I feel like I'm not eating pizza (a magical melding of crust, cheese, and sauce) so much as crust and sauce. Still they make a great pie.

joanh said...

have you ever found any good deep dish pizza places out here? that is what i'm looking for!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I hate to complain about Pizzeria Luigi because I have heard so many good things about them, but I refuse to go now because I have been turned away two days in a row for delivery. That wouldn't be so bad and I would have driven downtown to pick it up if it wasn't for the rude guy on the telephone. When I originally called, he misled me and told me that they were delivering. He even began to take my order only to tell me that he was just joking. That they were not delivering that evening. Again. Sorry. I guess I am suppose to feel like its my loss because they are all popular from t.v. show. I feel that they lost out. Because I had a taste for pizza and the budget to cover the quantities.

Roger said...

Wow that sounds awful. I did not know they were on TV, but I hope this decline in quality of service does not extend to the pizzas as a result of them feeling cocky.

Their pies really are good, though, last time I checked.

Anonymous said...

That's funny you said that because I was thinking the same thing. I hope they don't get too busy that the quality of the pizza goes down. I did want to try them one day, after I calm down from that bad experience. I just hope I am not too late.